Built Environment & Streetscape

Tullamore has a rich diversity of architectural heritage, of which the town can be justifiably proud. An extensive record of structures, which are deemed worthy of protection, has been included in “The Architectural Inventory of County Offaly” (2004).

The following buildings/structures built in Tullamore in the 18th & 19th centuries are particularly noteworthy:

  • Round House, High St ( c1730)
  • Bury Bridge, Convent Rd (c1799)
  • Boland’s Lock Keeper’s House, Grand Canal (c1800)
  • Charleville Castle, Charleville Demesne (1801-12)
  • St Catherine’s Church, Hophill (1808-15)
  • “Tullamore Gaol” (Kilcruttin Business Park), Cormac St (1826-30)
  • Tullamore Courthouse, Cormac St (1833)
  • Tullamore Railway Station (c 1855)
  • Bank of Ireland, O Connor Sq (c1870)
  • Hoey and Denning, High St (c1879)